Early Addiewell football teams and grounds

The Shamrock and more

Football commenced around 1882 with a team called Addiewell Shamrock at a ground at Cuthill, but eventually Campbell Street park became the home ground and many’s the time an important game was staged on its corrugated surface.

Talent was not lacking in this sphere, as Paddy Crossan and Johnny Hanlon, both former Hearts’ FC players, were of considerable skill, and the Meechans and McGintys were not far behind.  The story goes of one game played by locals which ended up in a free fight, such was the rivalry which existed in those far off days.

Midlothian Advertiser, 10 March 1967, page 1

There was also a St Aloysius football team about the 1920s.  Tell us about the others  - there must have been quite a few over the years.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Early Addiewell football teams and grounds' page
This page was added by Sybil Cavanagh on 08/03/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.