The Chapel

Addiewell's Catholic Church

By Sybil Cavanagh

style="display:none;"
Browse this gallery: style="display:none;"Next | style="display:none;"style="display:none;"Previous | style="display:none;"style="display:none;"Menustyle="display:none;"
style="display:none;"
Photo:First communicants.  In the background the chapel (left), and Presbytery [the priest's house] (right).

First communicants. In the background the chapel (left), and Presbytery [the priest's house] (right).

John Kelly. All rights reserved. S1. 195

Photo:The May Procession in Livingstone Street, 1920s.

The May Procession in Livingstone Street, 1920s.

John Kelly. All rights reserved. S1.263..

Photo:May Procession - but what's the building on the left?

May Procession - but what's the building on the left?

John Kelly. All rights reserved. S1. 145

Photo:The chapel could seat 550 people.

The chapel could seat 550 people.

John Kelly. All rights reserved. S1. 201.

Photo:The altar had frescoes painted on the walls that isn't there today.

The altar had frescoes painted on the walls that isn't there today.

Geraldine Sharkey. All rights reserved.

St Thomas' Catholic Church

The above church was opened by his Lordship Bishop Graham on Sunday, 25th November [1923] at 11a.m.  It is erected on a site which, because of its elevation, shows the structure to great advantage. 

 

Red roof

The building is flanked on the east side by the Presbytery with its garden beautifully laid out, and on the west side by the Catholic school and playground.  A fourteen feet wide road about fifty yards long leads up from the Bathgate and West Calder road to the front of the church.  From this a flight of fourteen steps takes one into the vestibule through a five ringed arched doorway, with a tympanum consisting of small hand-made bricks in cross-cross pattern, producing a very pleasing effect.  The style of the building with its shaped gable and red roof is based on the late fifteenth century North Holland churches...

 

The opening ceremony

Outside the church the Bishop, accompanied by six priests, blessed the walls...  They then entered the church, and, after finishing the ceremony of blessing, High Mass was sung by the priests.  The Rev. Father Kenny was the officiating clergyman, and was attended by Fathers M’Carroll and M’Sparron, deacons and sub-deacon respectively.

 

130 children confirmed

At four o’clock the Bishop administered the sacrament of confirmation to 130 children, assisted by the throne by eight priests.  The little altar boys were very neatly dressed in red cassocks, while the girls were all dressed in white with long flowing veils, and with the electric light turned on they made a very pretty sight.

The singing of “Faith of our Fathers” brought to a close a day which will be long remembered by the Catholics of Addiewell.  From all the surrounding districts motors and charabancs brought their full quota to attend the opening ceremony.


Midlothian Advertiser, 30 November 1923, page 2.

style="display:none;"
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
Downloads
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
Documents
style="display:none;" style="display:none;"
style="display:none;"
This page was added by Sybil Cavanagh on 14/04/2012.